Cabbage replaces noodles in this low-carb spin on a classic takeout dish. Enjoy the familiar flavour without the spike in blood sugars! Approximately 6.7 net carbs per serving according to MyFitnessPal.
Recipe inspired by: http://www.gheewhizz.com/paleo-singapore-noodles/
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ medium green cabbage
- ¼ cup broth, stock, or water
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (butter or olive oil will work too)
- 1 of each green, red, and orange bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (could substitute chicken, pork, tofu, or omit)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- Thinly slice the cabbage, bell peppers, and onion.
- In a large sauce pan or pan with a lid, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the cabbage and stock and cook, covered, until just softened, about 10-15 minutes. Put cabbage aside for later.
- Over medium heat, melt the coconut oil in the now empty pan. Add the onion and bell peppers and let cook until just softened, about 5 mins. Add the curry powder, red pepper flakes and soy sauce. When the curry powder is fragrant, add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage back to the pan and mix well. Stir in the bean sprouts and cilantro and cook for 1 minute more or until everything is heated but the veggies are not soggy. Take off heat and add lime juice, salt and pepper.