Fall is finally here! This slightly sweet apple cake is a great way to enjoy freshly picked apples. It also goes incredibly well with coffee or perhaps a nice hot mug of apple cider! You can omit the Splenda or added sugar entirely, and this cake is still delicious.
Upside Down Apple Spice Cake
A delicious fall cake that pairs well with coffee. 28 net grams of carbs per serving according to MyFitnessPal.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 apple cut into thin slices (1 slice for each serving)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Grease a bunt or cake pan. Arrange the slices of apple into the bottom of the pan. Pour the honey evenly over the apples. Set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Set aside.
- In another bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and Splenda or sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at the time beating until combined. With mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture; beat until combined. At last beat in the applesauce.
- Pour the batter into the bunt pan and gently level with a spoon. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.