November is diabetes awareness month, with World Diabetes Day falling on November 14, 2017. This year’s theme is Women and diabetes – our right to a healthy future.
In honour of this, I am going to focus on topics that may be of interest to women living with type 1 diabetes all month long. Expect lots of healthy recipes as well!
To kick things off, here are 10 things women with type 1 diabetes will understand!
- The horror that is sugar-free chocolate (Never. Again.).
- Hauling around a purse the size and weight of a typical carry-on suitcase.
- Going even crazier trying to manage your blood sugars during that time of the month.
- Trying to figure out if you are angry, hangry, hormonal, or just high.
- Trying to look sexy whilst testing your blood sugar or disconnecting your pump before getting intimate.
- Trying to lose weight while on insulin therapy.
- People joking about you being pregnant after constantly having to pee due to a high blood sugar.
- Hoping that you constantly have to pee due to a high blood sugar, and not yet another UTI or other infection. For those who don’t know, women with T1D are more prone to these types of infections!
- Accessibility for injections or pump tubing is often a deciding factor when shopping for clothes.
- Finding out champagne is actually lower carb than red or white wine. Cheers!